Sunday 6 March 2011

Creative Writing: "Planning A Journey"

This is the final piece I wrote for Folktales following it's sad ending earlier today. I will miss writing for it greatly and have enjoyed every show I ever listened to immensely. Let's hope it's simply only in hiatus, eh?
This is the first poem I have written in earnest since the age of ten, so be gentle in your judgement. I should say also that the element of sadness is only due to me missing home, and not to the fact that I don't enjoy my life over in Germany. It was inspired by "Planning A Journey" by Leeds local folk band Whiter Than. 
---------------------------

Take me back to those northern towns,
I miss the wind and the rain.
Those people I know, those places I go,
Here’s hoping that nothing has changed.

It feels like I’ve been here too long now,
Across the channel, far from home.
I’m calling family and friends, trying to pretend,
That I’m happy, that I don’t feel alone.

Because there’s something not quite right here,
I feel somehow that I don’t quite belong.
Six months passed away and there isn’t a day,
When everything fits and nothing goes wrong.

I long for a place, not exciting, not pretty,
Rather grimy, not special, a typical city,
But a place that is, for one person at least,
Completely and utterly beautiful.
I want to breathe in concrete and smoke,
Fill my lungs with memories and choke,
With laughter as I recall every time,
We did something incredibly stupid.
Let’s go to the places we said that we would,
Visit again if only we could,
Find the money or the time to spend,
On such fun and triviality.
We can walk together down old streets in old shoes,
Sit in the park at night and listen to blues.
We’ll drink coffee in that place we went every day,
And I’ll feel comfortable in my own skin.
We’ll shop for niche clothing and second hand books,
In tiny hidden shops, and get funny looks,
For giggling loudly at some silly joke
That no one else will find funny.

I’ll do everything I always did,
With the people I always did them with,
And I’ll love every second,
Because I know that this is my place, and these are my people.

So, then, I’m planning a journey,
For a time not so far away.
And then I won’t need to reminisce about everything I miss,
I can live it; I’ll be home, to stay.

I’m counting down the days until June.
Get the kettle on, love, I’ll see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem to go out on G it just flows love it - plus it's a poem I can understand but then I'm just a poor simple soul xx

    ReplyDelete