Saturday 11 September 2010

YA: I Feel Better

So, I know I haven't blogged in a while. Soz about that. I meant to do a whole one about Shrewsbury Folk Fest, but the last two weeks have sort of slipped away from me in a haze of friends and family and goodbyes and I never seemed to find the time. Suffice to say it was a lovely weekend, Bellowhead are ace and you've probably been misjudging Morris Dancing all this time.

In regards to my year abroad, I'm pleased to report that all the nonsensical fear and upset from my last post has all but gone now, to be replaced with a much more rational feeling of excitement tinged with nervousness. I'm basically packed save the few odd essentials, I've bought some emergency teabags (because we all know the Germans can't handle to concept of a proper brew) and I'm planning to spend the rest of the evening writing a comprehensive vocabulary list for when I have to go open my bank account. I've even managed to overcome my stupid notion that I will be missing out on fun and games back home, and despite a half-hatched plan to fly to Edinburgh in April to see Tim Minchin* I am now prepared to take whatever the next eight and half months throws at me.

Sure, I've still got a couple of niggles. I've read my teacher textbook from cover to cover and now have less of an idea of how to be a teacher than before I even opened the bloody thing. I still haven't the foggiest idea what the accommodation I have paid for fully consists of beyond the fact that it's got a roof and four walls, and will not feel totally happy until I am sat in my room clutching my keys and working out exactly what I have to buy from Ikea.** Then there's the fact that Marmite will be less obtainable, Skype is hardly the same as a great big bear hug and I can't fit all my goddamn clothes into my goddamn suitcase!

But screw all these things for a moment, because right now, with just over 24 hours to go before I get on that plane, I'm feeling very good about the next exciting chapter in my life. It's going to be eight and a half months of sheer and unequivocal awesome. Bring it.

----------------------------------------------------

*This may seem extreme, but it's Tim Minchin with a live orchestra, people! A live orchestra!
**As it's university accommodation, in my head it looks exactly like Crescent Flats, my first year halls. If the people are even half as lovely, I'll have landed on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment