Tuesday 2 November 2010

Creative Writing: "Here's To My Old Friends"

This piece was originally written for Folktales, broadcast every Sunday 3-4pm on Leeds Student Radio (LSRfm) and hosted by the lovely Charlie. It was inspired by "Here's To My Old Friends" by Joseph and David and "Without You" by Ellen and the Escapades. Oh, and a few of my own thoughts and feelings. Enjoy.
-----------------

Here’s to my friends across the sea. I’m missing you again. It’s been years since I saw you last, though it’s not yet been two weeks. The time is not flying as we promised it would and it’s no fun here without you. I don’t like this distance… My drinking buddies and my dancing partners, my many shoulders to cry on and my cohorts in crime - I miss just chatting with you. When can we next wrap ourselves in sofa cushions and memories and drink tea and make wild plans? Icy wires don’t compare to sunny afternoons and real smiles. Your letters, full of anecdotes and imagined laughter, are like hugs with words. But I like the hugs with arms best. 

Without you, friends, what am I?

Lonely.

Here’s to my friends far away. Here’s to the one with the fullest heart, the one who always knows the right thing to say, and the one who’s just like me.  Here’s to the one who never says no to a party, the one who keeps me grounded, and the one who makes the best cupcakes. Here’s to the one that makes me laugh until I can no longer breathe. Here’s to the one who knows me better than I know myself. Here’s to the one who gives the biggest bear hugs. Here’s to you, every one of you. I should always tell you how brilliant you are because you are brilliant, always. I don’t deserve you, but I hope to God you never realise.

So, here’s to my old friends, my now friends, my always friends. I raise my glass and wait. And wait. And wait out the two month eternity until the next real smile. 

2 comments:

  1. Great read Georgina - I hope I am the friend with the fullest heart? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't refer to specific people (too many friends, oh what it is to be popular). Everyone's in there in some way though. There are several people I consider to have the fullest heart (thought I think Ruth was on my mind when I wrote that bit).

    ReplyDelete